Icing sugar and egg whites, that’s all you need to make the French meringue! Ah! You also need a sunny day! I mean don’t do meringue on rainy days because you will not succeed and that’s not a joke. More, keep in mind you must avoid any egg yolk to fall into the egg whites or once more, you will not succeed.
French meringue recipe is useful to make cakes as vacherin which is a frozen cake made of meringue and ice-cream or as the “Marvelous” which combines meringue and chocolate butter cream or any crunchy cake you can imagine.
The 2d way to use meringue is to make snacks. Meringue snacks can be flavored as taste, with strawberry or raspberry extracts, chocolate, coffee or with almond chunks, pine nuts or hazelnuts. We eat them as biscuits or sometimes serve them with coffee.
The 3d way to use meringue is to decorate cakes or pies as lemon pies but in this case, you won’t bake it in oven, you’ll cover your cake or your pie with unbaked meringue and once it’s done, you’ll just burn it lightly with a culinary blow lamp.
There are several ways to do a meringue and I personally think that the easiest recipe is the best one. I mean that sugar doesn’t need any previous cooking at specific temperature and that’s why this meringue recipe is great!
My trick: When I bake meringue, I bake much more meringue than the quantity I need. So, whenever I need meringue to do a crunchy
cake, I do not loose time to bake it and I have it close at hand. More, once baked, you can keep meringue for several
months in a hermetically food container because meringue hates dampness!
for 12 servings cake
- 6 Egg whites
- 300gr Icing sugar
- Break eggs and keep only the egg whites
- Pour egg whites into the bowl of food processor and add sugar.
- Whisk over high speed for about 12 minutes. Once food processor turned off, check the mixture. It must form peaks
- Preheat oven to 100°c.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper and lay meringue thinly if you want to make a cake or make small balls with a pastry bag if you want to make snacks
- Bake in oven for 1 hour door closed and open the door from time to time to allow steam to get out.