Do you have your own traditional Easter starter? Let us know!
In our French family, we have 2 different traditional Easter starters:
Eggs Mimosa: They consist in boiled eggs, cut in 2 lengthwise,then, yolks are mixed with mayonnaise and sometimes with tuna in brain. This starter recipe is pretty simple but damned good!
Our other traditional Easter meal starter is egg and ham aspics.
My great grandmother started this tradition and served this starter on festive days, my grandmother did the same and my mother carries on this family tradition.
Easter is the perfect day to serve these aspics because of the hard boiled egg hidden inside each of them!
Most of people make a great song and dance about doing aspics on their own and buy ready made ones.
Though, it simply consists in half hard boiled eggs in gelatin topped with ham!
Easter also means the coming of Spring by us. Egg and ham aspics recipe is a nice way to celebrate the coming of Spring!
Arrange aspics on a bed of green salad and see the result:
they are a sight for sore eyes, look like a work of art thanks to a vibrant colors combo (the pink of ham, the yellow and white of hard boiled eggs, the green of green salad and parsley…).
Aspics bring happiness on a festive table!
We always prepare them the previous day. This way, gelatin has enough time to congeal and Easter starter needs no more work on Easter day. That’s much appreciated and it gives you time to cook the main course of your Easter meal quietly!
Ingredients servings 8
- 1 Package Madera flavored powdered gelatin (aspic jelly)
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Ham slices
- 4 Parsley leaves
- 2 Black pitted olives
- Bring a pan water to a boil and cook eggs until hard boiled.
- Meanwhile, wash parsley leaves and divide black olives in 2. Arrange parsley leaves and half pitted olives at the bottom of each mold.
- Cut ham slices in 4 and arrange 2 of each at the bottom of each mold.
- Cook aspic gelatin according to the package instructions.
- Cut hard boiled eggs in 2 lengthwise and arrange each half in each mold.
- Pour gelatin until ingredients are covered and place in fridge for several hours (we prepare them the previous day at home).
- To turn out, run a knife all around.
- Serve with a green salad, bon appétit!