Zucchini gratin is my Mum’s recipe!
As many famous recipes such as Tatin apple pie, this zucchini gratin gratin recipe was born in unusual conditions and it was a real stroke of luck:
Mum used to mix zucchini with rice or stale bread when cooking zucchini gratin. On a particular day, she had no rice at home, no stale bread either.
She decided to use couscous semolina instead of usual rice.
What an invention! Believe me, when cooked this way, it’s the best zucchini gratin I’ve never eaten!
You could think that our family is totally mad because we keep on cooking zucchini-based recipes such as stuffed zucchini, zucchini basil pasta salad, vegan zucchini cannelloni, zucchini mash, zucchini fritters, well, zucchini in every way imaginable!
You know, my parents and my aunt both have large vegetable gardens and they collect several kilos zucchini all long summer, so, we have to rack our brains to avoid to get tired of zucchini, because they are nice vegetables and help us to go on balanced, healthy and colorful every day diet. We use to freeze some zucchini for winter, so we always have some, even in winter and that’s very pleasant.
More, as the months go by,you’ll notice that we cook numerous others vegetables (tomatoes, eggplants, spinach, pumpkins, turnips etc) in every way imaginable. But please, don’t worry if you’re not a vegetables addict because we’re also sugar addicts (especially me. Every one knows me as a chocolohic…Should I be in detox?!!!) and we are fond of all kinds of ingredients such as pasta, potatoes, beans, fish, meat, eggs etc), we love eating and that’s also why we go on slimming diet from time to time, each time we’ve put on too many kilos!
I would better stop telling you the story of our decadent eaters life as the aim of the day is to share the zucchini gratin recipe with you!
Ingredients 4 servings
- 4 Zucchini
- 100 gr Couscous semolina
- 160 gr Swiss grated cheese
- 1 Table spoon olive oil
- 4 Table spoons 15% fat heavy cream
- Wash zucchini and cut ends. Don’t peel them and cut them into dices.
- Pour 1 table spoon olive oil in a frypan, add zucchini, salt as taste and cook over low heat for 8/10 minutes.
- Deglaze after Some minutes cooking with 40 cl water.
- Preheat oven to 170°c.
- Place zucchini with their cooking juice in a bake dish.
- Add couscous semolina, 4 table spoons 15% fat heavy cream and 3 quarters ofgrated cheese, stir and crush zucchini roughly with a fork.
- Top with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and lightly golden browned (about 15 minutes).
- Serve immediately!