Most often French people eat raw grated celeriac in mayonnaise. It’s tasteful but mayonnaise is high caloric and it’s not helpful to lose weight!
We have been too greedy since last Christmas at home and each year before spring, it’s always the same statement of fact:
All of us have been gaining weight at home and the most annoying is my father’s high cholesterol level.
Eating raw celeriac in mayonnaise wouldn’t be reasonable at the moment!
I’ve bought a celeriac a few weeks ago and I’ve decided to cook it in a healthy and low caloric way:
Sauteed celery root.
The most difficult is to cut celeriac into dices.
Celeriac is hard to cut and I have to use all of my strength to succeed in this. It’s true I’m only 1m47 tall and I’ve lost much strength since I’ve sold my bakery!
Well, once cut into dices, I bring celeriac to a boil in water with lemon juice, I drain it and I saute it with a bit olive oil. You can flavor it with garlic and parsley but I particularly enjoy to flavor sautéed celeriac simply with lemon juice.
Lemon sauteed celery root is the perfect side dish to serve with pork, chicken, veal or fish.
If we were not on slimming diet, I would serve it with my home made creamy lemon sauce, the same sauce I use when I cook the …
But we go on slimming diet and have to avoid eating lemon flavored creamy sauce!
So today, I’ll simply serve sautéed celery root with broiled chicken fillet marinated in lemon…
Ingredients 4 servings
- 1 Celery root
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Table spoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- As I previously wrote, the hardest is to cut it! First, remove end and cut celery root in 2.
- Slice roughly each half and peel each slice.
- Cut each slice into 2 cm cubes.
- Bring a large pan water to a boil. Squeeze a lemon and pour juice into the pan. Add celery dices and cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze another lemon and set juice aside.
- Drain celery.
- Pour 1 table spoon olive oil into a skillet, preheat and add celery dices. Cook over hight heat until lightly browned (about 15 minutes), stirring regularly.
- Last, pour lemon juice to deglaze. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper as taste.
- Serve warm.