Mashed up potatoes and red mullets: What a delicious French Provencal dish, easy and quick to cook! This is one of my son’s and Dad’s favorite!
The biggest problem is to get fresh tasty fish. Here in Toulon, it depends on wether. When I go to our nice market “cours Lafayette”, I always have a look at the fish sold by local fishermen’s wife. The problem is that there are less and less fishermen and also less and less fish…
If you hope to get some fresh local fish, you have to get up early and to go to the market before 10AM. On lucky days, I find some wonderfully tasty fishes used to cook bouillabaisse which is a Provencal whole healthy meal made with fish soup cooked with fish heads that we serve with croutons and rouille. Rouille is a spicy sauce made with red pepper, garlic and olive oil. It’s a kind of spicy mayonnaise. So, when we cook bouillabaisse, we serve fish soup as starter and then we serve a main dish made with thinly sliced potatoes cooked in the fish juice, and fish flesh of course!
And…We drink rosé wine…
It’s much work to cook such a meal so I cook it on festive days only.
That’s why today, I share with you an easy and quick but tasteful recipe because we are not on a festive day!!!
and today is a lucky day as there were red mullets for sale this morning at our local market:)
The red mullets from Mediterranean sea are very small and I used these for the recipe. So, if you buy red mullets from Atlantic, they will probably be much bigger than mine and cooking time should be changed according to your fish size.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 800 gr potatoes
- 220 ml olive oil
- a handful fresh rosemary
- 12 small red mullets
- 2 lemons
- Peel potatoes and dice them
- Bring a watery pan to a boil and place potatoes. Cook for 20 minutes and drain them
- Mash up roughly potatoes with a fork, add 200 ml olive oil and salt as taste. Stir and cover to keep mashed up potatoes warm
- Clean and scale red mullets. Stuff each red mullet with a pinch rosemary. Squeeze lemons and place juice in a bowl
- Put 20ml olive oil in a fry pan (skillet) and heat over medium heat. Add red mullets and fry them for 2/3 minutes on each side over high heat. Add pepper and salt as taste
- Serve immediately red mullets (whole or fillets)and mashed up potatoes. Each one will pour freshly squeezed lemon juice on its red mullets as taste
- Bon appétit!