I love artichokes and I use to eat and cook them in every way imaginable. Whether raw or cooked, simple artichokes vinaigrette are great, aren’t they?
Another way to eat them, especially in South of France consists in stewing artichokes hearts and some potatoes with a bit olive oil. We add some bacon bits to flavor the dish and it’s absolutely delicious. We call this traditional French dish artichokes “barigoule”. What a name! (We use this slang word to mean someone has gone down the tubes…”partir en barigoule” but don’t say that to someone who has not grown up in South of France because it’s really a local slang word!)
Well, each time I cooked these stewed artichokes hearts and potatoes, something bothered me:
I always buy my artichokes bunches from local small producers and these artichoke bunches are sold with very long stems and I always wasted them. My Nan has taught me how to cook the cream of radish stalks soup and it made sense for me to do the same with artichoke stems. I’ve checked if artichokes stems were edible and they were!
I’m fond of all kinds of soups and cream of soups and it’s this way I’ve decided to experiment the cream of artichoke stems soup.
The only constraint before cooking artichokes stems is that you have to remove stringy parts carefully or your artichokes soup will be inedible because awfully stringy.
Last, there are 2 kinds of artichokes:
Purple ones which are very small, and green ones which are bigger.
I prefer the purple ones because their taste is more refined, pervasive and they are more tender but feel free to cook this cream of artichoke stems soup whether with green or purple ones!
My small greediness weakness: I add cream, much cream in this cream of soup.I know: I’m incorrigibly greedy!
Ingredients 4 servings
- 12 Artichoke stems
- 700 gr Potatoes
- 20 cl Shippable cream
- 4 Table spoons heavy cream
- Cut the stems and peel them to remove the stringy part. Peel outer layer until you reach the tender part inside.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into chunks.
- Bring a large pan water to a boil. Cook artichoke stems and potato chunks in boiling water for 40 minutes.
- Set 40 cl of the vegetables cooking water aside. Remove artichoke stems and potato chunks, add the 40 cl vegetables cooking water and blend until smoothy. Let cool down a few minutes.
- Add 20 cl shippable cream and 4 table spoons heavy cream and blend again until smooth and lightly airy. Add salt as taste and stir.
- Reheat before serving.